• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need help designing an A10 Warthog...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProfessor8138

I have been designing an A10 Warthog for some time now and I have a few variations of the design.
I am hoping to get some educated technical support from knowledgeable individuals on some of the mechanical aspects.
My intent is to produce a visually appealing,safe and airworthy aircraft that can be built by anyone in their garage with a little mechanical ability.
I really have no desire to go into the kit producing business so I would ultimately like to put the plans online for free download to anyone interested....it would be interesting to see how builders would change,improve and morph the plane over the years.
This approach has been used with computer programs for quite a while and the results have been excellent for the most part.

* 1st configuration : ultralight design
I realize that the plane would not meet the ultralight criteria by any stretch of the imagination but the construction techniques used for building a Quicksilver MX,T-Bird,Challenger and Phantom could be used.
Aluminum tubes,bolts,channels,nylon saddles,Dacron sails.....etc.
The plane can simply be bolted together and covered with sails.
Repairs are as simple as unbolting a tube and replacing it with a new one.

* 2nd configuration : experimental design
This version would be a little heavier,faster and more involved in building.
Construction techniques used in the Aerodrome planes by Robert Basley would be a good example.
Aluminum tubing secured with rivited gussets....etc.

Each design configuration has issues pertaining to the mechanics that I have not solved yet but there are individuals in this group that have the answers and I would greatly appreciate their input.

Im leaning towards the ultralight version right now due to simplicity and cost....
There are so many really great planes out there right now but they are financially out of reach for most people,including myself....I want the average working person to be able to build the A10 by keeping it as basic as possible.

If anyone is interested in helping please chime in and I will start listing the areas of the design that I'm in need of assistance.
I'm confident that the issues can be solved ....

Back