• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Revisiting Mini-IMP, Vmax Probe style designs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmflying14

Hey guys, I have ventured into another thought experiment. (You may have seen my other). Neither of which are very serious at the moment as far as building the plane, however it isn't entirely off the plate in the distant future.

So, Long story short I recently started revisiting the idea of a pusher, Vtail, small aircraft. It would be similar to the Vmax and/or Mini-IMP, however with a few twists. Basic design thought is a modern NLF or similar Laminar foil, with crescent-tipped style wing planform (Wasabi Siren, NXT, etc.). It would be a high wing configuration with the wing above and behind the pilots head. This could end up being a very fun plane to fly, giving the pilot the "sailplane" style feel being in-front of the wing with a near-unobstructed view. Theoretically if properly designed the aircraft could maximize laminar flow, in comparison to other/similar light aircraft deigns (tractor prop/engine). The airframe could potentially utilize the same rule that allowed pushycat and pushy galore to get away with a retractable nosewheel, and fixed mains. If this configuration were used it could utilize either an inverted or conventional V. On the contrary, if the aircraft were set up as a tail dragger (Vmax), it could utilize a Y, and or T (Vmax style) tail. Engine would be mounted under, or slightly aft of the wing. Fuel either in wing, or forward of the engine, under CG. If a sport plane were designed, I think I would aim for a Honda 4cyl, or 1000cc motorcycle liquid cooled engine (For lightweight, high power, reliability). Cooling could be augmented out around the tail around the spinner. Using a relatively simple clutch system, you could engage and disengage a shaft mounted impeller, for ground and climb cooling. If Formula 1 oriented, we could use a similar augmented exhaust idea, with fan, for cooling, however obviously air-cooled o-200 (not sure if the rules say anything about cooling fans). Exhaust can be added to the mix, exiting the aircraft in the same area

First thoughts could show a potentially very fast aircraft, meanwhile a very fun aircraft to fly (at least from a sailplane-style pilots perspective).

What are your guys thoughts on a modern, revamped Vmax/Mini-IMP styled aircraft?

(I'll get some rough sketches up soon)

EDIT: Lets not forget Ed Lesher's multiple designs.

Last edited:
Back