• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Special Issuance odds with controlled epilepsy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akpilot

Hello,

Not sure if there are any AMEs floating around on the board here, but I was denied my last 3rd class application, and now I'm one of those super unlucky souls who falls into the Sport Pilot Catch-22. It looks like the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 has some new mods which keep people like me pinned, because of the need for a Special Issuance.

I've never applied for an SI, but was wondering what the odds are for someone who yes, has epilepsy, but who's seizures are completely controlled with medicine. I've read around and have seen the "10 years seizure free and off meds" info for a regular 3rd class medical application, but I've never been able to find any FAA literature on Special Issuance regarding epilepsy. Anybody have any experience with this?

If there's a chance, I'll apply for a SI. If there's zero, looks like ultralights here I come :)

Back