• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
OK, while I have seen the old Douglas Rolfe drawings of the de Pischoff Motorcycle of the Air, the video that addicted2climbing posted of some full-scale "models" flying (https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...-magnificent-woman-their-flying-machines.html) does get the imagination going.

Let's take the idea of a "motorcycle of the air" a little further. Let's see...a motorcycle is about the wind in your hair and being at one with the machine, it should be small and maneuverable and have enough power to be exciting, you should be able to keep it at home and not need a hangar. The TEAM Airbike and Aeromax are close but the high wing ruins the riding feel, so no high wings unless outside the field of view (so a high rear wing and forward canard might work).

• Single-seat, straddling the fuselage, exposed (windscreen, fairings allowed but rear half of torso, legs, etc. must be exposed)
  • Helmet, harness and rollover protection mandatory
  • *Max gross weight 300 kg/661 lb
  • *Max stall speed 65 kph/40 mph/35 knots
  • *60 kW/80 hp max
  • Easy wing folding or removal for trailering and storage
  • **Maximum span 5m/16' 4"
  • **Maximum length 5m/16' 4"
  • ***In flying attitude there should be 180 degrees of unobstructed view in a horizontal line from pilot's shoulders forward and in a vertical line from the back of the pilot's head upwards. Only windscreen, rollover protection and instruments may be in that quarter-sphere field of view.

*These numbers are deliberately taken from the European microlight regs for a single-seater.
**These limits are intended to keep the aircraft small and sporty, no long wings.
***This is for the motorcycle feel.

I am not sure about the biomechanics of a motorcycle seating position (head forwards) in a crash, even with a seat harness, so I might be inclined to go with recumbent seating like the TEAM Airbike and Aeromax.

In terms of engines, i am inclined to suggest an 1835cc VW as a good starting point.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Matthew

Last edited:
Back