• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pilotage using other than FAA approved maps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Dingus

i have recently begun working on my cross country flying, and i know we have to have a valid sectional in the aircraft when flying. so the question is, are we allowed to use alternative maps in conjunction with the sectional.

example, the area i fly in from my instructors site to the nearest airport, is 10 miles, the sectional has only 2 prominent features to help for pilotage.
and that is only the large power lines, that is not enough to cleanly get me to the airport, as the features as at 9.5 and 8 miles from the destination airport.

i have a county map that has better detail, and referencs, is this allowed or frowned upon. since i am not familiar with the area even on the ground.

Just trying to be better pilot, and get there.

our flight speed is only 40-45 mph in the trainer.

Robert

Back