• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tinfoil hat theory on the future of light airplanes in the US

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtae07

Supporting Member
I got involved in the ASTM light airplane standards effort almost two years ago, and over that time I've discovered that the powers-that-be in light aviation--particularly the FAA and certain manufacturers--are extremely resistant to changing almost anything beyond tightening the stall warning and stall behavior rules. Essentially, they seem determined to freeze certified light airplanes in their present ever-more-expensive state. How it's being handled in Europe, I'm not sure; the idea is for the ASTM standard to apply across the board but I get the strong impression the European regulators are much more willing to consider new ideas.

At the same time, though, the FAA seems to be more willing to work with the homebuilt crowd than it used to be. I don't know if it's something triggered by the success of the RV series or what, but recent moves by the FAA to help homebuilders with flight testing, acceptance of more complete and "easier" kits, and the willingness to allow non-TSOed avionics (EFIS, ADS-B) even for IFR operations, makes me wonder...

<tinfoil>Are manufacturers and the FAA trying to encourage people to go the homebuilt route for personally-owned aircraft?

I mean, think about it... from the FAA perspective, it reduces the manpower burden of having to work with manufacturers and address all the paperwork and inspections that go along with certified airplanes, and it absolves them of blame because builders and owners are responsible for that sort of thing. It also lets them neatly sidestep the increasingly loud calls for some kind of owner-maintained category for light aircraft.

From the manufacturers' perspective, average Joes aren't buying new certified airplanes anyway, and the liability exposure from an increasingly-old fleet is a daunting financial risk.

In essence, it seems a great way for all of them to say "it's not my problem". Especially with the generally higher level of kit quality and completeness, and various forms of commercial assistance allowed, it seems that homebuilts are increasingly becoming a viable option for a lot of users.</tinfoil>

The market for certified light aircraft won't go away, given flight schools and all the other commercial/official uses for them. But annual homebuilt completions are already about equal to new piston-engine aircraft deliveries, last I checked. Makes me wonder when the balance is going to tip, as older certified aircraft become prohibitively expensive to maintain.

Back