• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Using foam for bending jig?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivestockTony

Hi,

I just recieved the plans and owner's manual for a pietenpol, and I've been looking at builder's sites. It looks like it's necessary to prebend the capstrip for the ribs, before putting them in the rib jig.

Q1- Most people seem to build a bender that handles 1 piece of capstrip at a time, out of MDF or another wood. Is it a horrible idea to build a bending form out of blue styrofoam (the type sold as insulation), or similar? I think I can put together a curve using a hotwire and six sheets of 8x4x1/2 which would allow all the bending to be done at once, using straps to provide to pressure. This doesn't save any man hours I don't think, but might reduce the TT for build calenderwise. It would also reduce the fuel cost of the steamer (though that's pretty insignificant to start), since it would only need to be run once for the wings.

Q2- The bottom of the rib has a slight curve also. Does this need to be prebent?

Q3- The Dow styrafoam is supposed to be water resistant, but if doing this would it be a good idea to glass and finish the top surface of the jig?

Thank you in advance,
-TF

Back