• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

1/2VW oil circuit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need to verify the oil flow on my Mosler 1/2VW as I want to add an oil separator to the breather with a return line.

Am I correct in understanding that oil flows from the pump, out to the external oil filter, then to the cooler, back to the engine (still under pressure) and thence to the bearings and heads, finally draining down to the sump where the pump picks it up again? If that's the case then I can't go with my original thought of running the drain line from the separator to a tee in the return line from the cooler because it's still under pressure there.

The Mosler has a check valve letting air out of the breather to maintain a partial vacuum in the crankcase, but there's still some oil loss to the current overflow bottle, and enough mist that I always have to wipe the underside of the fuselage after flying. I'd like to eliminate that.

Dana

Back