Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576162636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1065

Thread: Cassutt - looking for anyone who knows anything about it

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Cassutt - looking for anyone who knows anything about it

What is the title of your forum?

Please join us at Homebuilt Headquarters for early AM coffee.

BJC

2. Likes Little Scrapper liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I do camp at OSH the airshow is the time I hit the public showers and have the place almost to myself. You can only watch so many Stearmans circling skydivers with smoke on. There is not much I like at OSH anymore except the Red Barn area and the Seaplane base. Guess I'm getting to be one of those old farts yelling at kids to get off his lawn. Having said that I will continue to go to Broadhead and get a day in at OSH. There is still a little something for everybody there at OSH, you just have to find your little piece of it. The magazine has some good stuff lately but I don't think they will keep that pace up. They were supposed to get rid of J Mac, who belongs at Sport Aviation like a bastard at a family reunion. There is also other deadwood writing for SA. They need to drain the swamp in OSH.

4. Likes Little Scrapper liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin N View Post
    They were supposed to get rid of J Mac, who belongs at Sport Aviation like a bastard at a family reunion. There is also some other deadwood writing for SA. They need to drain the swamp in OSH.
    +1. An interesting comment from several Oshkosh locals, all non-aviation people. " We never saw Paul P in town. The fly in moved here, as did Paul, but he remained a Milwaukee resident."

BJC

6. Likes bmcj, Little Scrapper liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Raceair View Post
    I still go every year, only missed two since 1970...But it is harder and harder to find my little interest corner of aviation there any more. Lat time I saw Wittmans V-Witt, the tires were flat and it was resting on (and crunching) the wheel pants.
    I plan on giving a forum again this year, but I really don't know how many more conventions I can attend. They turned our 'membership Organization' into their 'Business'....And they say they are non-profit?.....
    Somebody must have taken note as they later put wooden blocks under the axles to hold the tires 1/4" off the floor. Sad to see they think so little of the plane to park it outside for the length of the convention but that's not my call.

I'll certainly make every effort to attend your forum Ed.
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

8. Likes Little Scrapper liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great thread drift, IMO. Maybe deserves its own thread...

I struggled mightily with Hightower and Mac. I think Pelton is a good fit for the job, but may lack Paul P's vision. Also, with the declining pilot population, the ground the EAA is mining for new members and fundraising is tougher and tougher by the day, which limits the amount of money the EAA can spend on activities which don't directly bring in money.

One of the clear problems EAA has is what to do with all of the donated stuff. On one hand, from a business standpoint, the EAA probably can't justify adding to the museum. It is a large and significant collection, but I can't imagine that it pays for itself. On the other hand, people donate stuff to EAA every day. What should EAA do with the next Bugsmasher 3000 someone donates? They already have one on display and maybe another one moldering in storage somewhere. If someone donates a significant aircraft, which significant aircraft do they rotate out of the prime space? And maintenance... To keep the fleet healthy (both the flyers and the static stuff) costs a lot of money. When that Pre-war Chief the folks at Flabob rebuilt needs to be re-covered in 20 years, is it really worth spending $20k to have that done on a not particularly significant $15k airplane? How about the 10th significant racer? How many racers can you have on display given that you need to recognize all of the other niches in aviation too?

Probably the worst thing EAA can do is let stuff rot.

Maybe their policy should be tiered aircraft donations. Tier 1: You donate the Spirit of St Louis or some other highly significant aircraft, we'll keep it maintained and on display forever. Tier 2: You donate a really nice 2nd tier historical aircraft (an early Cub, or a nice Staggerwing), they will rely on the type club or enthusiasts to keep it spruced up for flying or display. When the type club can no longer maintain the aircraft, EAA will sell the airplane. In the meantime, they will treat it well. Tier 3: You donate a tired C-172 or a decent Champ (but not as nice as the one on display) and EAA will sell it for what the market will bear. In no case will they let an aircraft or donated item go to rot in a dark corner of a leaky storage building...

10. Likes bmcj, Little Scrapper liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They can also turn stuff away. Give the donating party advise on the best course of action with their less than desirable donation.

12. Likes Little Scrapper liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin N View Post
    They can also turn stuff away. Give the donating party advise on the best course of action with their less than desirable donation.
    They could, but EAA is a business, and if people want to help EAA by donating things, it is hard to turn the donations away. Particularly when EAA can turn those donations into money...

14. Likes Little Scrapper liked this post
    Registered User Little Scrapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm at the gym watching aircraft youtube videos on a treadmill trying to get down to Cassutt weight. Interesting conversation. It's really cool when you mute the videos and put the ear buds on swing jazz rockabilly music.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170109_190228.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	57766

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170109_191224.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	57767

The most important thing we can do is keep doing our part. Stay motivated. Stay positive. I'm preaching the T&F gospel according to Scrap to as many as I can. I have a website that I pay for. I preach it here too. We can only do what we can do guys, it sucks, I get it, but we're all still here and able. Looking forward to meeting some of you cats this year.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need additional training. If you were getting a checkride from me I would have to give you a big U in the judgement column. You should be checking the fit of yoga pants at the gym.

17. Likes Little Scrapper liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ran 2 miles with those videos playing on the fancy treadmill. That's all I can do right now, I feel like I'm gonna pass out when I hit the 2 mile mark. Gotta watch so I don't blow my ticker.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Maybe their policy should be tiered aircraft donations. Tier 1: You donate the Spirit of St Louis or some other highly significant aircraft, we'll keep it maintained and on display forever. Tier 2: You donate a really nice 2nd tier historical aircraft (an early Cub, or a nice Staggerwing), they will rely on the type club or enthusiasts to keep it spruced up for flying or display. When the type club can no longer maintain the aircraft, EAA will sell the airplane. In the meantime, they will treat it well. Tier 3: You donate a tired C-172 or a decent Champ (but not as nice as the one on display) and EAA will sell it for what the market will bear. In no case will they let an aircraft or donated item go to rot in a dark corner of a leaky storage building...
    Interesting as the type airplanes that made EAA what it is - homebuilts like Cassutt, Pitts, Tailwind, Pietenpol, Volksplane, have no value to the organization today in whole form. All they can do when donated is part them out and convert them into a buck for the bank.

I think I'd rather donate a plane to an A&P school. Get the tax deduction and help people vs. having the plane parted out by folks who's job is parting airplanes.
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are lots of 3-4 airplane "museums" that would love to have an airplane. Maybe someone could do a F1/ FV flying museum like Rhinebeck. Every weekend have 4-5 planes fly with mock races.

22. Likes bmcj, BJC liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    There are lots of 3-4 airplane "museums" that would love to have an airplane. Maybe someone could do a F1/ FV flying museum like Rhinebeck. Every weekend have 4-5 planes fly with mock races.
    True, a small museum can sell them or part them out and make a buck or two, just like the big boys.

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...ad.php?t=15761

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing is forever, but usually the small museums cant afford to buy so if something displayable came along they would probably put it on the floor. Or you could just send it through the wood chipper and free the world of dealing with it. My A&P school had https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Conrad Twin Comanche I believe the only plane for record books that beat it was Voyager. I heard they sawed the wings off so they could stick it in the corner easier. When he delivered it, he flew it in, unbolted his ferry tank and handed the keys over.