• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

half vw oil consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, so last night I changed the oil in my Mosler CB40, and wiped a good bit of oil off the bottom of the fuselage. Flew today for roughly an hour. Oil pressure steady around 40psi, oil temp around 210-215, hotter than I'd like but within limits. Toward the end of the flight, I went to full throttle to climb to cross a forested area, saw the oil temp go over 230 and the pressure drop to 20. Reduced power and lowered the nose, temp went back down and pressure went back to 40. Back in the pattern, I again pulled the nose high but without full power and temp and pressure stayed ok.

Back on the ground, wiped more oil off the fuselage. I didn't have time to pull the cowl and look where it was coming from, but it was all more or less in the vicinity of the breather puke bottle. I forgot to check the level on the dipstick, but likely it's down. Compression is good.

I won't have a chance to get back to the airport until next week, but I figured I'd solicit ideas. How much oil do these engines normally go through? Leaky breather check valve perhaps? I know some loss through the breather is expected, but I'd think I could fly more than an hour before losing enough to affect oil pressure. It's always lost a bit (I have 25 hours on the plane / engine since I bought it, 375 TT).

Dana

Back