• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rubber press forming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetblackaircraft

Not sure if everyone is already aware about how to do this to make ribs, but I figured I would post some pictures and a video of rubber press forming.

2015-07-09-17.17.30-e1437258046694.jpg
Here is (left to right, obviously) the CNC milled forming block out of 6061-T6 rectangle bar stock, the formed leading edge rib for the horizontal stabilizer, and the flat rib before forming (punched on a CNC punch press)

2015-07-13-08.26.00-e1437258144337.jpg
Two formed ribs, one showing the rubber side, the other showing the forming block side.

2015-07-17-15.41.07-e1437257923891.jpg
Here are a couple of forming blocks, one for the leading edge rib, the other for the trailing edge rib, then a small mock up of the horizontal stabilizer assembly. I punched a short skin, just two ribs wide, and a short spar, then bent the spar on the press brake. I need to swap out to a larger radius die on the brake and then put a leading edge radius in the skin. Also, still need to bend the trailing edge spar and I'll have a short section of horizontal stabilizer to deburr, dimple, and rivet.

[video]https://youtu.be/-QNM0JUUYEY[/video]
This is a video of rubber forming a rib. I apologize for the terrible camera work.

Last edited:
Back