• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Do I need a transponder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radfordc

I have just finished building an Eindecker EIII replica with a Rotax 503 engine. Originally, I hooked up the engine alternator to a regulator/rectifier and used that to charge the onboard battery. My DAR questioned whether this was legal for flight inside the Mode C veil area. The FAR says you're required to have a transponder if the plane was originally certified with an "engine driven electrical system".

The DAR and the FAA MIDO inspector are both coming on Wednesday to do the inspection. Today I removed all the wiring connecting the engine alternator to the plane. The battery is still in the plane because I need it for the starter and to power the EIS. The reg/rect is still bolted to the firewall because I can't reach the nuts on the back side of the firewall. The only way to remove it would be to drill out the mounting screws. There are no wires connected to the reg/rect. The onboard battery will have to be charged externally.

So, I don't have an engine driven electrical system now. I do have some components that could someday be made into an engine driven electrical system.

Am I legal or not?

Back