• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Control Stick Design: Sizing the components

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I have been doing a preliminary design of my control stick, and have been looking at various designs.

This is a section out of the Mini Max 1650 plans, showing their design for the control stick:

Capture.jpg

If you assume the maximum force of 167 pounds, as stated in Part 23, that a pilot can exert, would this apply to all the components, or is that the force applied to the control grip?

The tang that goes between the control stick and torque tube in the picture, when I calculate the size assuming it is a cantilever beam, I get a thickness value far greater than what is specified. I come up with 0.25 inches (using 4130 steel) when the 1650 plans specify only 0.125 inches.

I am using the 1650 just as an example, and am finding similar thickness values on other designs.

What am I missing here?

I hope this makes sense. It is 1:15 AM here and I am tired. But I have also been sipping on some Riesling while I try to relax:).

Back