• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Troubleshooting your engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekimneirbo

There have been several threads where builders have tried to trace down problems in an erratic engine...often with a lot of frustration.

I was wondering if anyone had tried using one of the old hand held or slightly larger engine analyzers available in the 1970s. Obviously

they can check alternators and resistance values, but would the point dwell reading work on a magneto? The larger console models

have scopes on them which could check plug firing. People practically give these things away now a days. I could see one being of

some value when trying to identify a problem. Anyone have enough experience with one of them to comment? I saw this little gizmo

on ebay today. Magneto Spark Checker for about $10.....might be worth having around for that price.

Spark Plug Ignition Tester Electrical Magneto Coil System Tester LED Light | eBay

Back