• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

STOL/VTOL Or close to VTOL design.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpainCub

Wow, I had been keeping an eye on this project for a while now, since I am involved in one very similar for a competing platform... for my personal use :giggle

If we can only get batteries for a density of say 6000W-h/kg we could soon be flying in things like these... (soon?)

gl10-hover-02.jpg

Here is the link for the full site:http://www.nasa.gov/langley/ten-engine-electric-plane-completes-successful-flight-test
I guess you can spend months just discussing everything on this site... truly cool stuff.

One Idea I am working on is the following, until we get to 10kW-h/kg and compete agains fossil fuels, one could build a hybrid, use the ICE engine for take off, then use a Kinetic and Heat harvesting hybrid to capture all the energy from the Ice at low regiment flying. The smaller electric motors can be used also as a harvesting Kinetic as you fly glide. Most efficiency would come from the greater torque used at take off, say a 50 kW ICE, with an electric motor to get you to ~110 kW (150 hp for us americans ;)) for take off operations, then you at lower regiments harvesting Heat (turbo energy kinetic) to store on a fast charging Über Graphene capacitor battery... You could then run mix of hybrid power, harvesting Heat from ICE and Kinetic from smaller electric motors (like the configuration on this little airplane) or Full electric, for extended flight time or VTOL is feasible.

This all came from my current CHAP (Combined Heat and Power) system I put in my home, I'm almost at 70% capacity to move of grid... all I need is the power storage for summer usage.

Back