• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CNC Machine - for home-building aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rienk

This is a spin-off of Fritz's 'VP-21 HWC' thread, where we were discussing the possibility of more homebuilders being able to have their own CNC machine, and providing "open-source" plans, instructions, and parts lists (with suppliers) in order for people to quickly and inexpensively build one.
Kind of like the "90 Day Wonder" airplane, but instead a "40 Hour Wonder". (Fritz prefers days, but I started the thread, and I prefer hours...;) ).

The current goal is to be able to build it in less than 40 hours of work (including specialty stuff), and for less than $3,000 (including router/spindle, everything to hook up to a computer and be able to run; tooling extra).

The ideal machine would:
  • Be able to, one way or the other, handle full 4'x8' sheets.
  • Be able to cut up to 1" sheet goods, and at least 1/8" aluminum.
  • Have side rails that are below the work surface, so that the table can also be used as a workbench.
  • Run off of 110v power (even if needing two circuits).
  • Have vacuum hold down capability.
  • Have vacuum collection.
  • Use OTS parts and supplies.
  • Use OTS software and controls (including free-ware).
Here are a few 'wish list' items.
  • Have room for a rotary 4th axis on the side (would make the Y axis gantry 5' wide?)
  • Use a water-cooled spindle instead of a router.
A small sponsorship is available to help offset the cost of putting together such a package (especially fabrication and assembly photos/videos/animations). Once the design is set, others are welcome to put together packages, kits, whatever, to make available to those who don't have certain capabilities or want to save time.

I'm curious to see if such a project will get legs and take off - I sure hope so!

Back