• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Corvair, half power/half compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonL

I would like to start this thread to field some thoughts from anyone, in regard to looking at hybrid use of fuel, electric, and compressed air, I feel that some things can be blended in such ways that a measure of fuel can be extended in such manner that duration of flight is increased by a significant amount.

I used to sale for a company that had Lindsay air compressors, these were V8 engines powered on one bank and making air with the other bank, operation was smooth.

I'm thinking the Corvair should operate the same, using one side for power and the other for compressed air, but can find nothing to suggest anyone doing this or if it will work.
As I see it, balance will be the same, but power from the three pistons will be 120 degree spacing during one revolution and exhaust/ intake for the next one.
Compression from the other three pistons would take place every revolution, it is my hope that a flywheel of sufficient size should take care of any tendency to lope at lower speeds.

Anyone care to help me confirm this question ?

As for the power loss of three cylinders, it should take only a small percentage of the compressed air to supercharge the intake of the fuel side and a vacuum can scavenge the exhaust, making use of otherwise wasted heat.
Looking at performance specs of turbocharged units show nearly double the power of a stock engine. Compressed air would offer a steady and adjustable supply, thus eliminating the lag time of regular turbos. (IMHO)

RonL

Back