• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hi! SoCal gal checking in and looking for beginner's tips!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenna

Hey guys, I've been lurking around and reading posts here without making an account for nearly three years now as I toyed with the idea of getting into homebuilts... well, I finally have free time and some extra income so I figure it's now or never to get started!!

About me: I'm 24, from the PNW, but living and working in Southern California.

My aviation experience: Got my private pilot's license in 2010, it's no longer current sadly, I didn't have the finances to keep flying regularly through college. Now that I have an adult job, I could afford to fly, but for the price I just don't think it's worth it right now, I'd rather build cool things (currently building a solar powered cell charger to bring camping). During my undergraduate I worked in a research lab where we designed and tested plasma thrusters. So while I have no actual engine experience, I have some machining experience (can use a lathe, band saw, etc), can solder, and have a good grasp of physics.

My idea: I want to build a powered glider. I am toying with the idea of using a kit but I think I'd rather build one from scratch if at all possible. I am thinking of starting with a snowmobile engine. I've been reading up on engines a little and I know I would need a reduction drive which is generally more expensive than the used engine itself... then I have to decide what size propeller to use... I'm going to buy the glider part pre-made though because I don't trust myself to build that part obviously haha.

I know I have a TON of research to do before I begin a project of this magnitude and cost. Any reading recommendations etc would be much appreciated.

Hope to "meet" you all soon!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 162
Back