• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Newbie, please point me in the right direction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enewmen

Hi all, first post!

After years, I'm finally able to do something about aviation. I've been flying X-Plane and reading ASA/FAA GroundSchool books for now.
Small background: I'm an American working in Singapore and I will want to buy a small farm in Thailand to retire in years later. Farms have space for a small STOL-BUSH aircraft!
But around there, the only planes are available are the commercial planes flown from overseas, or built from kits, and a handful of others.

Homebuilt Airplanes seems like a good place to go if I want to build my own plane since I can't find new complete planes there. I used to fix cars and motorcycles when I was a teenager/in college, My mechanic skills are rusty now. But I'm also smarter, more patient, and more thorough now.

A kit will allow me to fully understand how my plane works and how to fix/maintain it.
So, please suggest a "Begineers" 103 ultralight airplane that flies like a normal/larger fixed-wing airplane, is easy to build with pre drilled holes, etc, well documented, able to test if things are installed correctly, and an engine that uses normal automobile gas. I may also want complete instrmentaion and radio/transponder later if I want to fly near class C/D/E airspace

OR.

Don't do things "half-way", Skip the Ultralight & Sports license, get a Private Pilot License and build a more capable STOL-BUSH plane, like a Zenith Ch 750 or CH 801 HD.

Where can I find a big list of things to check even before thinking of getting in a home-build plane and starting the motor?

Last thing. Are kit planes safe? Safe as in statistically safer than cars and any flight error is almost always from the pilot.

yes, I will join a flight club and get involved. But I'll need to wait until I move from Singapore to Thailand.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Sorry for any dumb questions, I'll do a better job of searching next time.

Back