• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Welding Clusters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Hi All:

I cant wait till I can answer some questions, but thank you till then for answering mine.

I got quite good at just coping and welding a T joint.

So I started trying a 45 degree added to the T. Not as good a result. When I try to get a pool going in the 45 degree angles it is resistant to start and then by the time it does the whole area is so hot that went I move out of the tight spot I often burn through.

Speaking of that. When the time comes to do this for real is it safe/acceptable to fix a burn through or does that necessitate a start over.....I hope not.

Also, when I get a burn through it seems to start a reaction that causes sparks. I know this cant be good. What is this about and what to do about it.

I am definitely trying to pay better attention to penetration because I was getting some clusters that looked good, but when I crushed them in just such a way in the vise I found the weld feeling away from the main member meaning to me it was adhering but not fusing.

Hope this all seems clear. Please give any advice you can.

John

Back