• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New guy, looking for advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoushaltdrive

Hello everyone.
I'm an engineering student from Northeastern Minnesota. Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of building my own airplane of some kind like a WWII style fighter plane, something fast and areobatic. However, I also strongly respect older designs from Louis Bleriot and early WWI designs. So, my first build will resemble an early 1900s era plane with structural strength and safety being the greatest concerns.
At the moment, I am in need of some advice. I am planning on designing the aircraft around the engine. So, my first question is where can I find good engine for a Bleriot XI style plane? Could I use two-stroke snowmobile engine? Do I have to use a special engine?
The second thing I want to know is about the wings. I've always liked the look of a low-wing monoplane, but I want to be as safe as possible here. I am not an experienced pilot and I think it would be best for me to build the most stable plane possible. Could I get by with a low-wing design or should I go with a top wing design instead?
I am excited to get to work on a design as soon as I can. Your feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back