• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New welder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Supporting Member
I have finally begun playing with my new toy. I got a package from Eastwood that included their 220V MIG 175 and their smaller 40 AMP VersaCut plasma cutter. Some distractions and injuries kept me from playing with it until just the last week. Last week I got out some scraps and started trying to melt things together. I know there are welding snobs out there that have to have the best there is but so far with my limited skill this package is way ahead of my expectation curve. The voltage and wire speeds are infinitely adjustable and the gas controls give great control over flow and pressure. The entire rig is really very well thought out and very easy for someone with only rudimentary understanding to just turn on and start using. I had some scrap 1/4" junk that I started on just because I knew I couldn't blow through it. The chart on the inside of the welder door pretty much idiot proofs initial settings and a couple beginner videos give you an idea of how to dial from your initial settings to perfect.

First project after playing with scrap was a tiny weld on one of my older cars. I broke a gas lift strut ball stud off of a station wagon rear hatch on my audi. The part is tiny and it has a lot of load on it cantilevered so fairly critical. This weld was scaring me because is was near tempered glass and the amount of weld was tiny so no room for screwing up. Well, it wasn't pretty but I was able to do this work without bringing in a mentor to get me through the first one. Just walked up set the machine and did the weld. Later when I get better I will probably be able to do it with less grinding and cleanup after but still pretty happy with the overall experience so far.

MIG is just as easy as I was lead to believe it is. There is virtually no learning curve. All I have so far is a C25 bottle so only mild steel experiments so far but can't wait to get into complex sheet metal brackets and things like that using the plasma and welder to fab up complex shapes. Never been much of a tube and fabric guy so I think this thing is going to be useful. If I get in over my head I will get the Eastwood TIG rig as well.

The total package with MIG175 and VersaCut40 with autodarkening helmet, gloves, split leather cape and bib, MIG pliers, initial materials kit, aluminum MIG spool gun, regulators and hoses, castered stand and 25' 220V 50AMP cord was just about $1300 delivered to my door. Eastwood sells on Ebay so that turned out to be the best way to buy direct from them. Bottle of C25 is $140 initial cost, $40 refill for 20CFM size. Same for all the other gases like pure Argon for aluminum and Tri-mix for Stainless.

Back