• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A Quick Hello!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

ppillera

Hey all, I've been lurking for a while but I figured I'd get off my butt and at least say hi and introduce myself.

I just moved back to MN after being away for a while, am working on saving up to build a home in the country with hanger/workshop within the next couple years, and am planning on collecting parts to start building my first experimental/home built plane.

I'm a private pilot with my float plane, tailwheel, and complex endorsements/ratings, and have decided that I prefer the 'off airport' type flying. I don't have the budget to do anything too off airport, but soft field/grass field/field field take offs and landings appeal to me greatly. While I don't NEED a 2 seater, I'm about 60/40 for a 2 seater over a single seater for no other reason than I've got a few friends who like flying but don't have their license, and I plan on getting my CFI in the next year or so in order to teach my friends for free. I also plan to trick my wife into getting her pilots license without her knowing, but don't tell her ;).

Fuel burn is also more important to me than speed, but I'd still like to be able to cruise between 70-90. I want to be able to fly cheaply (2-4 gph of mogas at cruise) and I don't really need any luxuries. I'd PREFER tailwheel, but could deal with tri gear. Lastly I'm looking to build for <20g (and I'm fine buying used stuff and overhauling it).

I'm thinking one of the following would be a great choice.
Kolb Aircraft
Quad City Challenger
Earthstar Aircraft

I'm trying to figure out how to get some seat time in them and hoping to find a way to locate some local owners and convince them to let me buy them fuel for a ride. ;)

Anyways, enough rambling for me, that's me in a nutshell. I love reading about all of your builds and hope to add my own here before too long!

Back