• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Drones and N-numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcj

Supporting Member
This article from AvWeb shows the first of the FAA licensed drones with an N-number (and a less than successful public first flight).

UAS Test Flight Flops

Capture 01.jpg Capture 02.jpg Capture 03.jpg

My reason for posting this is that it has an N-number. My concern is that it has an N-number. All arguments about safety aside, I think FAA is missing the boat (or plane) here. Drones should have a unique identifier easily distinguishable from an N-number (and maybe even separate identifying systems for remotely controlled vs autonomous). I believe this for two reasons. This first reason is that controllers need to be able to easily distiguish between manned and unmanned craft so that they can provide priority handling to the manned aircraft for safety reasons. The second reason is that there will be a proliferation of drones, and those drones will quickly deplete the number of available N-numbers, leaving none for the aircraft manufacturer or homebuilder. We have already seen this type of depletion with the proliferation of cell phones and the need to start splitting area codes.

There is a third concern for increased drone usage... overloadiing of the air traffic control system. This mayresult in reduced services to the manned aircraft pilots (or even denial to airspace), and it will mean a large increase in ATC costs, which might be passed on to us.

(BTW... they built this for under $50,000. I could have done it for $500. ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
Back