• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Member from Arlington Wa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm nearing retirement and contemplating a full-size WW1 replica project. I'm particularly interested in a DR.1, D.VII, or an SE5A. I have found plan sets from: Sands, Redfern, and NASM for the Dr.1; Replicraft, Funke, and NASM for the D.VII; but only Replicraft for SE5A.

Each project has it's own unique positive and negative characteristics. A lot of Dr.1 replicas have been built, they are well documented, and you can buy new radials for them from Rotec. There are several sources for D.VII plans; however, the down-side is finding an in-line six. As far as the SE5A goes, I could only find one source of plans, and the V8 engine will be a problem, as well.

I'm leaning toward a Dr.1 because of the expected ease of finding parts and documentation, but it is said to be a bit of a handful to fly. The D.VII was thought by many to be the best plane in the war, but I'd have to relax the engine requirements for the D.VII and buy a newer style engine (Lycoming) to power it. Finally, the SE5A was said to be the fastest and best behaved flyer of the bunch, but I'd need to find a reliable converted automotive V8 or Lycoming for it. I suspect that far fewer of the SE5As have been built - and that makes it interesting to me (ask yourself how many red Dr.1s have you seen). Still, I have to say the Dr.1 is at the top of the list today - but that could change if someone in this forum has any ideas for the SE5A.

I would appreciate another source of plans for the SE5A, ideas on a suitable V8 for it, as well as input from someone who is, or has been involved in an SE5A build.

Back