• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Goals for your welding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Hi All:

I've just ended a day of practicing welds with some steel conduit and RG45 rod and a O/A setup. I used a tubing notcher to make 90 degree joints and then tried to beat them apart.

At first glance this is what I feel about the welding aspect of my project.

The quality of the weld is no doubt important, and the greater threat comes from a brittle weld.

I could not tear apart one of my ugly newbie welds. But what scares me is the idea that after thousand to millions of cycles the seemingly strong weld may crack. So my instinct right now is to focus on the normalizing process as much as welding. Does this make sense?

Back