• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Re-tempering 6061 T-6 after annealing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FritzW

Is there a "homebuilder rule of thumb" way to re-temper annealed 6061 without going through the textbook (expensive and complicated) method? I wouldn't be making anything "life and death" like wing spars. ...close enough would be close enough

I got to playing with annealing some scrap 6061 T-6, forming it and re-tempering it. I used the old "burning off the candle soot" method to anneal it. To re-temper it I just heated it up as hot as I thought I could and quenched it. It seems to have re-tempered okay, not back to T-6 but not not dead soft either. I'm hoping to find something more repeatable than just guessing it's as hot as you can get it. ...something like the candle soot trick but for tempering.

1417564109 (11).jpg .016 6061 T-6 (annealed) formed in a mold made from a pine 2x4's squeezed in a vice.

Back