• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Great Eastern Fly-in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

Hello all!
Happy New Year!
We have returned from out New Year's adventure somewhat sunburned (well extremely but who's counting?) and fairly tired (the dang air mattress kept going flat, I guess we gave it somewhat of a beating) but a good fun time was had by all.
I took 3 rolls of film with me, filling them all. I think I went through the first roll within an hour of arriving.
I'll post pics up somewhere for you all to see later one they get developed.
There was quite a variety of aircraft, the big interest items for me were the P51D, I just love the sound of that Merlin engine, and Terry Kronk's scale replica FW190 and Michael from Supermarine aircraft's SpitfireVIII scale replica. The 190 certainly sounded the part with the big Russian radial engine but the Spit's GM Isuzu 250HP V6 just didn't sound right. I reckon Terry should have brought his V8 spit with him too but then I'm not sure if he lets anyone else fly his planes for him. Terry K had a small incedent when one of his wheels didn't retract fully, ripping the cover off at 200kts, but after some searching the missing cover was found and Terry took off back to home base to repair it, and he returned in time for the dinner that night.
I initially was hoping to get a joyride in the P51D, having heard they would be on sale at the show, but at $700 :eek: a ride I decided to pass on that. Plenty of other people didn't though and the Mustang was roaring off into the sky for another 1/2 hour ride usually within minutes of taxying back to the apron. I lost count of how many times I saw it go up, But I'd say they were pulling in close to 20 grand for the weekend however according to the owner/pilot it was pretty much just covering expenses, a fair chunk of that was public liability insurance but evidentially fuel efficiency was not a thing they had in mind when they built them.
I had the chance to catch up with a couple of KR2 flyers there (Terry Grace and Graham Schott), and we chatted about building planes and they were pretty enthusiatic about the design modifications I've made to the plans. The only really bad event was Terry G's KR2 nosing over and breaking the prop when on taxying to the runway for his return trip to QLD :wail: his right wheel got hooked up rolling over a drainage grate. He's pretty sure his engine (VW) will be fine due to the nature of the wooden prop and the fact the taxiway was grass and fairly soft sandy loam underneath. He parked the plane in a hangar and arranged a ride back to Brissy with one of the guys from Supermarine and will return in a few weeks once he has acquired a new prop. Hopefully when he does a run out check things will be fine.
So we got to see a lot of planes, talk to a lot of people and get severely sunburnt. All in all a pretty good weekend.

Last edited:
Back