• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New (old) Avid Model B Project !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I just bought what may be the highest time Avid (or Kitfox) in existence. Avid s/n 234 has over 4200 hours on it!

A fellow damaged it at a Sierra Nevada fly-in recently, and I bought the damaged airframe from him (after he bought it from the insurance).

This will be a fairly quick project; I've already located a replacement set of landing gear, and found a local place that has the equipment to straighten a slight twist in the fuselage structure.

I'm planning (so far) to install a Franklin 2A-120 engine, since I prefer a 4 stroke in the particular environment I will be flying in. The Franklin is certified, and meets the engine weight limitations much better than a VW derivative.

So the biggest single part of the effort will be fabricating a new engine mount and firewall forward systems.

The airplane already has a name, "Rescue Me"... I rescued it from being parted out, and it's gonna rescue me from the emotional hell of not flying. My other big project (172 tailwheel conversion) has taken three years, with no end in sight. Don't ask.

Back