• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fighting a small warp built into a wing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

When I built the wings of my single seat Super Cub,(SSSC). I used a transit on my build table and got it perfect. Built the first wing, and with geodesic wing construction, the wing can't be twisted, just like a full plywood or aluminum covered wing. So what you build is what you get. The first wing was true in every way.
Somehow the table must have got bumped or moved for the second wing panel because it had a small twist in the outer wing that matched the table. In the test flight the left wing was a little heavy. So I did something new to me but I sure someone has done it before. Using a good digital level that will read down to 1/10 of a deg. I measures the incidence at the root and wrote it down then every 4' to the tip. Then I multiplied the incidence by the arm. Root-- 2.5 degs X 1 = 2.5 . Next station -- 2.5 degs X 4' = 10 . Next station -- 2.5 degs x 8' = 20 . Next station-- 2.5 degs x 12' = 30 . For a total of 62.5
One wing was 64 and the other was 62.5. So using the distance between the front and rear spar I worked out how much I need to drop the rear spar attach fitting on the 62.5 wing to make it 64. Test flight in calm air was hands free.
Dan

Back