• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Retractable Wheel Fairings... How Would You Log The Time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
There are some retractable wheel fairings out there, such as these. I'm thinking of going this way someday myself. So the question I have is: If you take off and flip a switch/pull a lever to fully enclose the tire, then reverse the process to uncover the tire and land, can you log "retractable " time? How would you describe the aircraft to your insurance company? On the one hand, you need to perform the same actions as a retract pilot to complete the mission, so you should get the "credit" for the complexity. OTOH, the "risk" to the insurance company would be hardly any lower than a standard fixed gear installation. Forget to flip the switch on landing and all you're likely to do is destroy the fairings. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Back