• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Second ignition for my VW engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

The engine in my little airplane is a 1835 CC, 60 HP VW engine. I want to keep it light and simple. I have no electrical system and hand prop, Zenith carb, Slick mag with shielded harness and 14 mm Champion shielded aviation spark plugs. I use the Tiny-Tack with the sensing wire going through the 1/16" dia hole in the mag cap beside #1 wire per instructions. Works great.
Been wanting a secondary ignition source, but I don't have a charging system. I do have a little 5 amp gellcell model airplane starting battery to operate my hand head radio and the electric oil temp gauge and my electric elevator trim. The 5 amp battery last a long time because of the small drain and little use. So I was thinking of taking the sensing voltage for the Tiny-Tack and making a circuit to switch on the secondary ignition after the Slick mag quits firing , say 1/2 second. Quick enough to get the engine firing before the prop stops. Also with a LED on the panel so I know that the Slick mag has failed and am running on the little battery and need to land before the battery voltage go's down. I can change to a similar battery but 7 amp for a little more running time with very little added weight.
I have most of the circuit working on the bread board and just need to adjust to get the timing as quick as possible but so it will not come on at a slow idle rpm.
So what I will have is a second igition that is armed and ready to run the engine in case the Slick mag quits firing after a very short time.
I fly over the Appalachian mountain area with nothing but woods and very little places to make a off field landing.
Dan

Back