• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Neat tool: $350 IR camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfunnemark

I recently bought an imaging IR camera for my I-phone 5. See flir.com/flirone. For my purposes it works as well as the first one I ever used, made by Raytheon, about fifteen years ago, which cost $40,000 at the time. It will take stills and videos, what ever the I-phone does.The web site gives you a hint of what it will do. After just playing with it a bit, the first official uses were finding a small area on a stabilator where some water had seeped in, and next detecting a small pinhole leak in a vacuum bag during a wing skin layup. The leak would have been undetectable using the old fashioned way of trying to listen for a leak. Instead I saw a blue spot with the camera where cooler room air was being sucked in. A gob of sticky tape on top and the bag was tight. Priceless. Check it out and let your imagination run wild.

Back