• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pressurization loss reaction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesquire

All the news locally is about a fatal crash of a TB-900.

What caused plane to crash? - 13WHAM ABC Rochester NY - Top Stories

As I know the story. subject to change since the news never gets this stuff right .. short form, pilot called ATC and asked for a descent from 28,000 ft. ATC told him no and asked if he was declaring an emergency.

No response.

Fighters scrambled to investigate said the windows were fogged but one pilot said he could see the plot of the TB-900 and could see his chest rise and fall, but appeared unconscious.

This is not the first time a private or charter has lost pressurization and lost all hands.

I have ZERO intention of criticizing the deceased pilot. Or ATC.

MY question is what is the appropriate action to take?

I can understand the reluctance to declare an emergency. Paperwork, annoyance, time.

First thing in any emergency is Fly The Plane.

My hindsight BS reaction is to set the autopilot for 8000 ft. ATC can route traffic around me. Deal with the fallout later.

But my experience in this is limited. I took the USAF high altitude training for idiot civilians decades ago in preparation for a 20k skydive, and recall how stupid I got repeating my SS number and writing what I was told to....but fast pressure loss affects one differently than the slow simulated climb in a pressure chamber

Opinions?

Back