• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Spar Caps, Laminated vs Solid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

I'm looking into making a start on my spars soon and I have a couple of questions.
The plans spar caps are stated as being a solid piece cut from a 2x2" section of stock. Most builders make them out of a pair of 2x1" sections glued together because AS&S don't supply 2x2's.
I have the opportunity to cut my own stock, so would I be better making them as a solid piece or laminating them, If it is the latter would I see any benefits to making more laminations?
Time is really not a huge factor, I'm willing to spend a few extra hours here and there.

Back