• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rags and tubes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Well, since everyone seems to be staying away from this topic, I thionk I'll open some discussions/comments.
I'm building a Bakeng Duce, kind of a classic rag and tube aircraft - high wing, open cockpit, tandem seating. Like a "convertible" Citabria!
I actually started the a/c in 1979, with purchase of plans from Jerry Bakeng (plans, etc. now available from Austin Cole @ bakengduce.com). Got a lot of the steel parts cut and polished, then got into building several other airplanes. Finally got really started two years ago, and now am painting the fuselage and getting ready to cover the wings. Power is a "0" time O-290-D.
I realize that rag and tube is not for everyone, but it is a traditional building method, and not at all difficult to learn. You do have to learn to weld, or at least tack weld. And you must learn to keep things straight as you weld - the tubes like to wander all over the place. A little extra heat judiciuosly applied takes care of the problem.
One difficulty that plans builders face that kit builders don't: Serving as your own purchasing agent! Finding where the parts/pieces/raw materials are available at the right time and the right price is all important. Be prepared to spend a lot of time chasing things down.

This is the sixth airplane I've built, and I've learned a lot from each of them. The biggest thing? Always be willing to make a part over until it is done to YOUR satisfaction!

BTW - I am an EAA TC, and if your project is in south Florida and you need a TC visit, kindly give a holler!
:cool:

Back