• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

BD-5 Micro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tinbuzzard

N525JS, my BD-5a, first flew in June 1997 after four and a half years of construction. It was a third hand, untouched partial kit when I bought it for $500. This isn't an easy plane to build, but aftermarket support and parts are available. No complete kits were delivered by Bede Aircraft before they folded in the mid 80s. However, they shipped over four thousand partial kits, so many original ones are still available. Full kits are now available from Bede Micro Technologies in Oregon. Alturair, in ElCajon, Ca. also provides parts.

My example is powered by a Rotax 583 turning a Prince 43x43 P-tip prop. Modifications to the design include stretched "A" wings with a 19' span and a leading edge cuff, all pushrod stabilator control, and a reshaped aft fuselage.

Unlike its popular reputation, this is an excellent handling and easy to fly plane. It's quite stable and has perfect control harmony! Mine has an empty weight of 510 lbs., stalls at 80 mph. and cruises at 170. ROC is 950 to 1,000 fpm. Best glide is a 15/1 ratio at 120 mph.

Here are the pictures:

Tin_Buzz1.jpg

Tin_Buzz2.JPG

Tin_Buzz3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back