Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

See all at: Medical reform moves forward - AOPA

The FAA has sent a proposal to reform the third class medical certification process to the Department of Transportation for review, FAA Administrator Michael Huerta announced July 31 at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Huerta would not discuss details of the proposed rule, but said the FAA has heard the general aviation community “loud and clear” on the need for reform. The proposed rulemaking must be vetted by both the Department of Transportation and the White House Office of Management and Budget before it can be opened for public comment sometime in the fall.

“The easy thing would be for us to say ‘no,’ but the objective is to get to ‘yes,’” Huerta said...

2. Likes Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Fingers, toes, and limbs crossed. Thanks for the update.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone know what it is going to be changed to?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator168 View Post
    Anyone know what it is going to be changed to?
    The goal, I believe, is to eliminate the Third-Class medical requirement for operations in aircraft below a certain weight and performance level. The proposals I've heard about so far would mean operations in many GA singles would no longer require a medical. Very likely there will be a "self-certifying with valid driver's license" requirement, similar to Sport Pilot.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hope this is going to reduce the price of LSAs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator168 View Post
    Hope this is going to reduce the price of LSAs.
    It might. Since they will no longer hold that special niche, demand will shift away from LSA's and drive a price reduction to make them competitive.

8. Likes Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    It might. Since they will no longer hold that special niche, demand will shift away from LSA's and drive a price reduction to make them competitive.
    Or worse, kill the segment.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    Been thinking about this last night - when I should have been sleeping. It might have just the opposite effect, but I'm just guessing/speculating. LSA is still a cheaper and quicker way to get a plane into production. What happens if there are S-LSA built and sold that can then be converted to E-LSA' which removes some of the restrictions that apply only to S-LSA's, such as IFR flight and owner maintenance? This would provide a way to get a flying plane with less restrictions than a S-LSA that is legally built by a company rather than via the 51% rule.

Since some of the restrictions on LSA flight follow the pilot rather than the plane by removing the class 3 medical requirement the demand for LSA's might actually go up since they can now be used with less restrictions? Add in the fact that some will "bend" the rules by legally modifying the planes with different props, and fairings that just happen to make the planes faster - or maybe just disconnecting the factory's installed speed limit device if so fitted and we have the same situation that existed with the old "fat" ultralights.
    Conventional wisdom and practices yield conventional results. If that is good enough for you:
    Problem solved.

"--and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out."
    Richard P. Feynman

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
    Frank Zappa

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That depends on what the existing market is for LSA. I heard that most people buying LSAs are existing aircraft owners. If that's the case, the market for LSA will just be NEW aircraft owners and the problem of that is pilots who can afford new airplanes will probably hold PPLs instead of sports license. Needless to say. The third class medical reform has nothing to do with helping the GA industry. If that's what they want, they should've relax the limitation of Part 103. Increase speed/weight/range restrictions.

Been thinking about this last night - when I should have been sleeping. It might have just the opposite effect, but I'm just guessing/speculating. LSA is still a cheaper and quicker way to get a plane into production. What happens if there are S-LSA built and sold that can then be converted to E-LSA' which removes some of the restrictions that apply only to S-LSA's, such as IFR flight and owner maintenance? This would provide a way to get a flying plane with less restrictions than a S-LSA that is legally built by a company rather than via the 51% rule.

That's true. I only see new aircraft owners will be doing this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see the price of used airplanes going up. All the planes you see where the owners sell because they lost their medicals will not go on the market. Pool of available airplanes to buy will go down, so price has to go up. New LSA planes will be the loosers; much more capable airplanes will be useable to the market leaving LSA in the dust.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    much more capable airplanes will be useable to the market leaving LSA in the dust.
    I'd guess this will be the affect for at least the first 2-3 years until the market adjusts (again); and then I can just go find a nice Piper Colt which was all I really wanted in the first place...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will never happen. It go's against the all over game plan. Dan
    Pops

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Will never happen. It go's against the all over game plan. Dan
    Normally I'd agree with you on this, Dan, but there seems to be some real political momentum behind this. I see it as an extension of when they removed the requirement for a prostate/pelvic exam from the third class medical examination. People started asking what that was actually doing to increase aviation safety, and nobody could show any data that it did. With the Sport Pilot self-certifying "medical" showing no increase in accident rate, people are starting to ask what the overall third-class medical requirement is doing to increase aviation safety and, of course, the FAA has exactly zero data to show that it does. We've got some allies in Congress asking the same questions, and getting the same lack of answers. We may actually get this one.

The cynic in me thinks that this is the entire reason the EAA and AOPA got behind Sport Pilot in the first place and, honestly, I kinda hope that's true. If we can get the third-class medical requirement dropped and some genuine FAR 23 reform enacted, it doesn't matter if LSA dies - we'll have something far better available.

16. Likes akwrencher, bmcj, dcstrng, gtae07, N8053H liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The LSA as a “holding ground” for PPL folks who didn’t want the semi-annual medical circus could probably evaporate, assuming this 3rd-Closs effort prevails; however, LSA may still remain as a lower-hour, lower-training-requirement transition area… Maybe it’s my imagination, but there seems to be a modest rebirth of the general genre of aircraft once habited by the first iterations of the Avid/Kfox/CH701UL (those two-place birds that are a jump above the genuine 103 craft) and at least for the homebuilt market (this is the homebuilt forum, right) these clearly fit… and perhaps will help to attract new fliers… then, at their leisure they can transition to full PPL and beyond…

I love the slick, go-fast kits, 4-6 place factory birds, etc., but that is also the Achilles heel of GA – if the threshold requirements amount to needing to drop six-figures-plus just to enjoy it (sometims is seems, just to hava socially acceptable instrument panel...), many young families will (have to) look elsewhere to use their disposable income (assuming there is any…). If this ever comes about, I think there could remain a role for LSA if used creatively, shrewdly…

18. Likes bmcj, Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If 3rd class medical reform does occur, I wonder how this will be reciprocated in other countries? Suppose I live/fly in the US and want to fly to Mexico, Canada or the Bahamas? Will I now need to add "get medical" to my list of preparations for flying into those countries? Or will other countries eventually follow the US lead? That will be interesting to watch.