Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    I bet we'd see a much bigger safety impact.

We would IF the time and money were expended as described. When was the last time you saw someone on Sunday morning at the empty local Walmart parking lot practicing their winter driving before the snow plows arrived?

Just another cynical Friday morning..........................
    Conventional wisdom and practices yield conventional results. If that is good enough for you:
    Problem solved.

"--and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out."
    Richard P. Feynman

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
    Frank Zappa

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wings View Post
    Careful....you're giving me a run for my money as the forum pessimist. LOL
    "Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant."- Orion

Random Person: "I think this is going to be a real game-changer for aviation!"
    Translation: "I think this is neat and thus I am going to ignore reality!"

Standard disclaimer on the advice of a lawyer: any information provided is for discussion purposes only. Anyone using the information provided assumes all risk associated with doing so.

3. Likes bmcj liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When was the last time you saw someone on Sunday morning at the empty local Walmart parking lot practicing their winter driving before the snow plows arrived?
    Until the cops show up to chase them away...

Dana

5. Likes Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We would IF the time and money were expended as described. When was the last time you saw someone on Sunday morning at the empty local Walmart parking lot practicing their winter driving before the snow plows arrived?

Heck, even if only 5% of the money and time were spent that way, I'd bet there'd still be a much bigger safety impact.

7. Likes SVSUSteve, Hot Wings liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post

Dana

When teaching my 3 children to drive, I took them to a frozen over large empty parking lot and gave each one about 10 minutes of instruction and got out of the car and told them to have fum.
    Dan
    Pops

9. Likes akwrencher liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dana
    Cops on the road Sunday morning!?! They are still working on paper work from the night before and cleaning the back seat of their patrol car

Walmart does have cameras - I use the local fairgrounds parking lot.
    Conventional wisdom and practices yield conventional results. If that is good enough for you:
    Problem solved.

"--and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out."
    Richard P. Feynman

Frank Zappa

11. Likes akwrencher liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always enjoyed driving in the snow, deliberately spinning the wheels and sliding around turns on purpose if nobody is coming the other way. If my wife is with me she asks if I did it on purpose, I say how can you know what the limits of adhesion are until you exceed them?

Dana

13. Likes skier, Pops, akwrencher, SVSUSteve, Streffpilot liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always enjoyed driving in the snow, deliberately spinning the wheels and sliding around turns on purpose if nobody is coming the other way. If my wife is with me she asks if I did it on purpose, I say how can you know what the limits of adhesion are until you exceed them?

Dana
    I've always done the same thing. I just recently found out that my wife started doing it too. Apparently she bought my story about needing to know the car's limits.

15. Likes SVSUSteve, dcstrng, Streffpilot liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant1 View Post
    Not real news, but AOPA, EAA, GAMA, and a bunch of other aviation organizations did send a joint letter to the FAA on Aug 15 reading in part:
    The letter is here. I think the parallel legislative approach now underway has more promise than this approach that requires the FAA do things on their own.
    AOPA and EAA are encouraging pilots to write their Congressmen/Senators -- adapted sample (make it your own ):

Dear Congressman *******,

Sir, I am a general aviation pilot who lives in **** and I am adding my voice hoping to encourage you to cosponsor the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 (H.R. 1062/S. 571).

The bill includes a provision on third class medical reform that is important to me as well as thousands of pilots nationwide. The third class medical reform is a logical attempt to expand an existing and successful FAA standard that has been in place for one segment of general aviation (GA) pilots for more than a decade.

The data gathered over this 10 year period indicates that the third-class medical certificate for non-commercial pilots has become antiquated and does nothing to improve safety; however it costs pilots millions of dollars (and no small amount of exasperation) every year!

I respectfully invite you to study the “Bill of Rights” and draw your own conclusions, but honestly believe this reform will save pilots like me money and time while also streamlining a small facet of the federal government; it will improve general aviation safety; and it will help reverse the precipitous decline in the pilot population.

Admittedly my interest are decidedly parochial and personal (reduce the bureaucratic aggravation for me) but when we have more pilots flying, it follows that the once robust American light-aviation industry may recover and once again build and sell more airplanes -- aviation-related businesses add jobs, and the economy grows.

This bill will also provide GA pilots with additional protections to remedy unmerited practices and regulations by expanding the first Pilot’s Bill of Rights. The first Pilot’s Bill of Rights received overwhelming support in both the House and Senate and became law in 2012.

In the interest of full disclosure, the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 is supported by the general aviation community including the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (of which I am a member) and the Experimental Aircraft Association (also a member – currently with Chapter **** of ***burg) as well as the Flying Physicians Association and others.

Very Respectfully,

17. Likes bmcj, lake_harley liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While being in favor of the 3rd class medical exemption, I am not in favor of it being pushed through by congress. It would seem to set a bad precedent for what controls congress has over the FAA. While the FAA can be a pain to deal with they have proven their ability to safely regulate air travel. Especially in this time of change with UAVs, I wouldn't want to start playing games that pass over the FAA. They need to be involved in all such matters to ensure the system remains safe for the users and the general public.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by skier View Post
    While being in favor of the 3rd class medical exemption, I am not in favor of it being pushed through by congress. It would seem to set a bad precedent for what controls congress has over the FAA. While the FAA can be a pain to deal with they have proven their ability to safely regulate air travel. Especially in this time of change with UAVs, I wouldn't want to start playing games that pass over the FAA. They need to be involved in all such matters to ensure the system remains safe for the users and the general public.
    I do believe sometimes the FAA needs to be reminded of their limitations and their responsibilities. If they choose to obstruct something by sitting on it indefinitely, they deserve to have rank pulled on them. Not that I approve of politicans in a general way, but but sometimes it's the only way to reign in ego-maniacal bureaucrats.

Remember the sleep apnea issue? They stepped way beyond their bounds with that on.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
    AOPA and EAA are encouraging pilots to write their Congressmen/Senators -- adapted sample (make it your own ):
    The article on page 2 of the new Experimenter lead me to this EAA page to submit a letter to your congress critters - if you happen to think a second PBOR is needed to get the FAA/DOT moving. Don't have to be an EAA member and it quick-n-easy.
    Problem solved.

Richard P. Feynman

Frank Zappa

21. Likes bmcj, Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just sent my letters off to my Congressman and Senators. I did it last year too, before that pending bill expired.

I just got back from the first doctor and Phase I FAA hoop-jumping, trying to get past the hurdles presented by a failed medical that's on my record from 1979! I actually PASSED a medical exam by a AME (?) 5 weeks ago, but when the Dr's staff tried to file it with FAA it was blocked and "deferred" to Oklahoma City because of the 36 year old failed medical on record. It took them 4+ weeks to let me know what they wanted to know about my medical history to even begin to try to get it cleared up. This is just plain frustrating, especially considering I PASSED the exam. As far as I see it, I'm now being held to a tougher standard.

Get your letters to Congress and Senate members.....please!

Lynn
    Last edited by lake_harley; April 16th, 2015 at 05:05 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm just curious if anyone might reply who used a driver's license instead of having a 3rd Class medical for a Sport Pilot license. If you either let your medical expire and went from a PPL to a Sport license, or, if you just used a driver's license from the start to go for a Sport license, did you have to fill out any medical history paperwork at all? Or, do you merely send a copy of your driver's license to FAA and that's it?

I'm still in the process of jumping through FAA's hoops trying to get a 35+ year old medical denial cleared up. Visited Dr. #2 today, and have an echocardiogram and stress test scheduled for next week. Argh!

Lynn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't need to fill anything out, and you don't have to send the FAA anything. You merely have to have the DL in your possession.

Dana