Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Quote Originally Posted by BBerson View Post
    The FAA Administrator at Oshkosh said something like they are trying to get to yes, but don't hold your breath.
    >sigh<
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not real news, but AOPA, EAA, GAMA, and a bunch of other aviation organizations did send a joint letter to the FAA on Aug 15 reading in part:

As representatives of general aviation pilots, manufacturers, and businesses, we are writing to request that the Department of Transportation and the Administration complete their reviews of the Federal Aviation Administrationís (FAA) Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) addressing third-class medical certification reform within the next 30 days and open the proposal for public comment

The letter is here.

I think the parallel legislative approach now underway has more promise than this approach that requires the FAA do things on their own.

3. Likes Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bumping this up again. Has anyone heard anything new?
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heard that a coalition of AME's signed on as supporting this (I will look for the link).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    Heard that a coalition of AME's signed on as supporting this (I will look for the link).
    Supporting the elimination of Third-Class for light aircraft? Against the AMA Board recommendation? That's awesome.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, I guess it was physicians in general, which includes some AME's. Here's the link:
    Flying Physicians support third class medical reform - AOPA

...and another:
    Senior AME speaks out in support of medical reform - AOPA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, I guess it was physicians in general, which includes some AME's. Here's the link:
    Flying Physicians support third class medical reform - AOPA

...and another:
    Senior AME speaks out in support of medical reform - AOPA
    Sweet. Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More news today on this front. From AOPA:

Caption: The Pilotís Bill of Rights 2 would allow pilots flying recreationally in a wide range of aircraft to no longer obtain a third class medical certificate. The new bill would allow private pilots to make noncommercial VFR and IFR flights in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds with up to six seats.

A group of powerful senators and representatives has introduced new legislation in both houses of Congress that would allow thousands of pilots to fly without going through the costly and time-consuming third class medical process and would offer new protections for general aviation pilots.
    Under the Pilotís Bill of Rights 2, pilots flying recreationally in a wide range of aircraft would no longer need to obtain a third class medical certificate. The new bill would allow private pilots to make noncommercial VFR and IFR flights in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds with up to six seats. Pilots also would be allowed to carry up to five passengers, fly at altitudes below 14,000 feet msl, and fly no faster than 250 knots. Pilotís Bill of Rights 2 also includes a provision to ensure that pilots can fly under the new rules even if the FAA fails to comply with the billís provisions 180 days after enactment.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I support this effort and hope it passes, yet at the same time, I have reservations about Congress pushing new aviation safety rules onto the FAA. After all, FAA is a knowledgeable body in aviation, whereas Congress is largely a group of aviation laymen. However, I take consolation in the fact that FAA has been largely unresponsive to reform proposals that have been advocated by knowledeable groups who have presented valid data to support their views.

I just worry that if the (non-aviation focused) Congress can be convinced to put this through, they might as easily be convinced by someone else down the road (perhaps the drone advocates?) that GA poses a threat to air navigation and to persons and property on the ground. We don't want Congress pushing that kind of agenda onto the FAA.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One battle at a time, B.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting this release came from the AOPA. And similar information is forthcoming from EAA when? Considering the interest in this issue, I'm disappointed that EAA's announcement hasn't been sent out with a "call to action" yet. Maybe I belong to the wrong association?

Lynn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ask and ye shall receive:
    https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-...reform-forward

EAA and AOPA have been working jointly on this for several years now.

14. Likes SVSUSteve liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no chance in he!! of it ever going anywhere

we have been teased for years and we are dumb enough to put up with it

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    no chance in he!! of it ever going anywhere

we have been teased for years and we are dumb enough to put up with it
    Given the considerable pull that Inhofe has with the Tea Party contingent that has power at the moment...I wouldn't be quite so pessimistic. I otherwise happen to have a rather convoluted view of Inhofe (his anti-science rhetoric just rubs me the wrong way; he's a nice guy but...) but between him, Rokita and Graves, I'm cautiously optimistic. What they are suggesting is exactly what the data suggests is the reasonable approach to sustain aviation while doing away with an archaic medical certification standards. It gives those of us who want to fly but do something other than sunny day trips, gliders or aerobatics the chance to become and/or stay involved. The more people we get involved the better. And, as much as we like to argue otherwise, those with money and connections who would use private flying as a means to further their business or haul their buddies on trips are going to help serve the flying community more than the lower end of the field without the ability to call in favors or donate to the cause.
    "Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant."- Orion

Random Person: "I think this is going to be a real game-changer for aviation!"
    Translation: "I think this is neat and thus I am going to ignore reality!"

Standard disclaimer on the advice of a lawyer: any information provided is for discussion purposes only. Anyone using the information provided assumes all risk associated with doing so.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like I said before, we expend lots of money and effort every year on getting, fighting for, and denying three class medical certs. The safety impact from all that is negligible. Why don't we take all that money and effort and instead direct it towards fitting AOA indicator and getting a couple hours' training on stalls, spins, and AOA awareness? I bet we'd see a much bigger safety impact.

18. Likes SVSUSteve, Topaz liked this post