Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    The insanity of it all is that, without a medical, I can fly a two-seat, 165mph cruise, retractable gear Stemme S-10, but I can't fly a Cub. I can't fly a Hummelbird or even a little DoubleEagle. WTH?/Rant
    Next time you are on the highway, take a look at some of the drivers in motor homes zipping by just a few feet away with a colsing speed of 120 MPH.

2. Likes Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by N8053H View Post
    I have seen enough airports with hangars full of airplanes that never move. Sure I am talking back country small grass strip hangars. I have also seen in my short aviation time more small airfields plowed under then I wish to see. This is just in my area.
    This is all because of the Class 3 medical requirement? The same requirement that has been (foolishly) the same for decades? Nope, the problems in GA come from a lot of areas, this is just a small speck. Sure, we should eliminate it, but those planes will still be sitting unmoved in those hangars, we'll still lose airstrips. We need young people to want to learn to fly, and we're working against a lot of societal factors.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant1 View Post
    This is all because of the Class 3 medical requirement? The same requirement that has been (foolishly) the same for decades? Nope, the problems in GA come from a lot of areas, this is just a small speck. Sure, we should eliminate it, but those planes will still be sitting unmoved in those hangars, we'll still lose airstrips. We need young people to want to learn to fly, and we're working against a lot of societal factors.

Every story was the same when I asked about all the airplanes sitting static. Pilot lost his medical. I couple times I heard, pilot died.

Tony

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant1 View Post
    We definitely need more young people in aviation, but getting more of the elder people back in the air also promotes GA growth because demand will be up. Higher use can drive lower prices (economies of scale) and an increase in infrastructure (or at least a slow down in the decrease of infrastructure). More planes in the air, more airports, and lower prices will help catch the attention of young people and bring them in.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    Exactly. It means "we have no real clue, so we're going to test for everything and deny the cert if we even think that there might could possibly be a problem caused by it somewhere at any time in the next fifty years".
    Which is how we got here in the first place. Someone, somewhere in the CAA, charged with coming up with the private pilot certificate requirements, decided, "we ought to make sure pilots are healthy, it's a really dangerous thing they're doing!" At which point, I'm sure a committee of someones called in a doctor (non-aviation doctor, since such a specialty didn't yet exist) and said, what would be a good physical exam for a pilot? Doctor, knowing nothing about airplanes, throws a full-blown physical at them, they accept it as whole-cloth, and the medical certificate is born.

Fact is, plenty of people have flown and continue to fly without medical certificates.
    Such as every glider and motorglider rated pilot that ever flew in the USA, every Part 103 pilot and, now, most of the Sport Pilot population. Add in, if I'm not mistaken, free balloon and airship pilots. Notice how we're not all falling from the skies due to heart attacks, hernias, and kidney stones?

Regulations are supposed to perform a specific function for the public good. The Third Class medical is supposed to protect the public from pilots who are not healthy enough to fly. If anyone - anyone - can show measurable and verifiable data that the Third Class medical actually accomplishes anything in this regard to any significant degree, I'll happily agree to the requirement. But no such data exists, because the requirement doesn't accomplish anything but check off a box on a form.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

7. Likes gtae07 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A compromise is probably needed.
    I suggest no medical for solo flight at any age.
    A medical required for passenger flights above age 70.

Note: a fatal Breezy crash at Airventure 2014. Pilot age 71, passenger age 21.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best I think we could get is "aircraft with no more than 4 seats, under 200kt, under 10kft, under 200hp, day VFR only, previously denied medical still disqualifies". What I think we'll actually get is "no change warranted at this time".

The part I highlighted in bold is what I fear. That's what's kept me out of Sport Pilot since I heard it even existed.

Maybe I could jump through a bunch of medical hoops, as I understand many have done more sucessfully in recent years, but I can't see spending a lot of time and money to maybe still have it end in a denial. I just can't figure how I lived so well for over 35 years after ignoring my doctor's prescribed medication. Maybe, just maybe, he was a "lower 50% of the graduation class" quality doctor, but it was really unfortunate that it had a profound effect on my aviation hopes. That's why finally, I'm building a MiniMAX 103 legal plane.

Lynn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not surprisingly, the AMA voted to lobby against changes to the 3rd class medical requirement. Flying magazine has an editorial blog post about it:

AMA Vote Reveals Dirty Secret of 3rd Class Medical | Flying Magazine

It certainly does smell like self-interest from here. They have a financial motivation to maintain the status quo. So if this proposal is going to move forward, it is going to have to be over the objections of the AMA, a well-funded and generally well-regarded group. I hope the powers that be in the FAA/DOT, and in Congress, can recognize those objections for what they are.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fly2kads View Post
    Not surprisingly, the AMA voted to lobby against changes to the 3rd class medical requirement. Flying magazine has an editorial blog post about it:

AMA Vote Reveals Dirty Secret of 3rd Class Medical | Flying Magazine

It certainly does smell like self-interest from here. They have a financial motivation to maintain the status quo. So if this proposal is going to move forward, it is going to have to be over the objections of the AMA, a well-funded and generally well-regarded group. I hope the powers that be in the FAA/DOT, and in Congress, can recognize those objections for what they are.

Not meant to demean the individual medical examiners (who are generally great in my view), but let's leave the 3rd class requirements in place and mandate a cost control measure (maybe a max of $20 per exam) and see if the AMA changes its view.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fly2kads View Post
    So if this proposal is going to move forward, it is going to have to be over the objections of the AMA, a well-funded and generally well-regarded group.
    The AMA's reputation has taken a major nosedive in the last 10 years, Congressmen know exactly what they are. Only a minority of MD's belong to the AMA anymore. They function as a guild (in league with the government) to effectively reduce the number of medical school slots as a means to keep MD pay high. Their lobbying actions in the lead-up to the PPACA and their maneuvers to retain a government-insured monopoly on the Medicaid coding business (a major source of their revenue), have made their whole operation very clear. Their goals frequently are not well aligned with the public good or the well-being of patients.

13. Likes mcrae0104, dcstrng liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bumping this topic. Does anyone have any more-current information about progress (or lack thereof) on 3rd-Class medical reform?
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Bumping this topic. Does anyone have any more-current information about progress (or lack thereof) on 3rd-Class medical reform?
    I have a lack of new information... does that help?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No particularly.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The FAA Administrator at Oshkosh said something like they are trying to get to yes, but don't hold your breath.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BBerson View Post
    The FAA Administrator at Oshkosh said something like they are trying to get to yes, but don't hold your breath.
    Or they are pretending to do something until a new congress is elected, and forgets about this issue.

19. Likes akwrencher, Topaz, gtae07, bmcj liked this post