Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1014151617181920

Thread: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: 3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

I've often wondered when considering the safety factor of keeping the medical, as it is, if the powers that be have considered how many more pilots will simply fly with no medical or BFR? We all know it happens now. I'm thinking this unregulated activity could be reduced considerably with a far simpler medical. Maybe something more along the lines of the standard DOT physical for truck drivers would keep pilots legal - and actually increase safety? $80 - walk in around here.

Those same DOT doctors might also be a source of some willing to sign off on our new reduced medical requirements?
    Conventional wisdom and practices yield conventional results. If that is good enough for you:
    Problem solved.

"--and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out."
    Richard P. Feynman

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
    Frank Zappa

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is no reason for any recreational pilot to meet commercial truck or commercial pilot standards.
    The medical fitness required for a valid drivers license is adequate.
    Less chance a C-172 would hit someone on the ground then an out of control Motorhome crossing the lane with a head on collision.
    Safety factors are not studied, as far as I know, when rules are arbitrarily made.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BBerson View Post
    There is no reason for any recreational pilot to meet commercial truck or commercial pilot standards.
    I agree, but around here the truck driver standards are soooooo easy to meet...
    Conventional wisdom and practices yield conventional results. If that is good enough for you:
    Problem solved.

"--and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out."
    Richard P. Feynman

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
    Frank Zappa

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wings View Post
    I agree, but around here the truck driver standards are soooooo easy to meet...
    CDL medical is a national standard and a key point is there was majority support for passage. While we might not think those standards are required, congress is not signing off on a driver license medical at the stage in the game. Nobody put up any credible evidence to make the case. The CDL medical was doable. Unfortunately, the people at AOPA thought they had a lot more clout than they actually do and refused to support a CDL medical. So we got what we got instead. Getting a foot in the door is better than getting to the door and having it slammed in your face, which is what could have happened vs what actually hapened, respectivey. If there is any comedy in the whole affair it's how AOPA is tooting their horn about what a good deal they got for everyone. What a bunch of losers.
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something else I just learned about the new rules. An FAA flight physical does. Or meet the requirement to start you on a 4-year cycle; it must be administered by a physician on their new questionnaire. This FAA Q&A says it pretty well:

Q: I just received a 3rd class medical certificate. Can I use my medical certificate to meet the requirements for a comprehensive medical examination?

A: No. Section 2307 of FESSA did not allow for an exam associated with a FAA issued medical certificate to substitute for a comprehensive medical examination. An AME is not prohibited from conducting a comprehensive medical examination concurrently with an examination for an FAA issued medical certificate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is ridiculous. Convince a podiatrist to sign the form and you are good for 4 years. Get a real AME to give you an official FAA physical (with possible failure= no LSA flying) and it is good for 2 years (age 40+).

7. Likes Topaz liked this post