• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pietenpol vs Milholland Double Eagle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcj

Supporting Member
Hi All,

I am trying to put together a 'build and train' program here for kids and young adults. I want a build project that is educational, relatively quick and easy to build, not too expensive to complete, and will work well for dual instruction. So far, the two that top my list are the Pietenpol and the Double Eagle. I should also say that I prefer designs that harken back to the golden age of flying (1930-ish... simple and honest).

I would like input, particularly from anyone who has built or flown both. I am looking for evaluations on ease of build, quickness of build, cost of build, and suitability as a primary training aircraft. Please ignore any experimental regulatory issues, as this will not be done for hire. Also, in addressing cost, focus mostly on the airframe... I know that engines are the biggest variable here.

I may run this as a POLL question later, but I am looking for discussion at this point.

Thanks to all.

Back