• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to choose the main wing airfoil for designing wing with flap and slat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Tian

I’m designing wing (AR=2) with slat and flap. I will use auxiliary section or slot as slat and Junker flap to increase the maximum lift coefficient. The Re for my case is about 0.35 million. Now I need to choose airfoil for my wing design to have high lift coefficient.

There are plenty of low Re airfoil data online for my airfoil selection. But these data are only for airfoil without slat and flap. I’m concerning about how much the added slat and flap will make the (based on one section data) airfoil selection meaningless.

What’s the typical process of the airfoil selection for cases similar to mine?

We know that the slat and flap will more or less change the velocity and pressure distribution of the main wing and the fluid physics of the airfoil is sensitive to the small changes. Do people usually take the slat and flap into consideration when they choose main wing airfoil? Or they just choose the main wing airfoil with the performance they like and without taking flap’s and slat’s influence into consideration?

Last edited:
Back