• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Experimental Aviation. Maintaining the status quo or on the bleeding edge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maintain the status quo or bleeding edge?

• Status Quo " Why mess with good enough?"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bleeding edge "I want to define state of the art!"

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Indifferent " I kind of just take things as they come."

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Status Quo " Why mess with good enough?"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bleeding edge "I want to define state of the art!"

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Indifferent " I kind of just take things as they come."

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crytes

General aviation is running on extremely old tech and in many cases expensive to boot. FAA certification insures that new factory aircraft either maintain this convention or become prohibitively expensive while old aircraft are forced to remain obsolete to maintain their type certificate. Experimental aviation allows a way to be free of these shackles however it seems most are content with the "good enough" state of general aviation. Excuses like development costs are too high to support such a small customer base are given instead of finding ways to expand the appeal and usefulness of aviation developed products to other markets or adapt products from other market for aviation use and cut development costs. Beyond that simple things like fuses are kept when breakers are available just because fuses have always been used and worked good enough. Now if you're building a replica there may be call to use the old stuff but if you're building for a mission then efficiency, reliability, and ease of use available in modern technology may be of use to you. I'd put a poll on here too but i can't figure it out it's interface right now.

Back