• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Second pilot on board in Phase I (in US)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtae07

Supporting Member
The FAA is proposing a program where a builder/pilot may have a second pilot on board during Phase I testing (even including first flight), provided that second pilot meets certain qualifications and certain tests are performed on the aircraft before first flight, and during the test program. I'll try to summarize it here, but the full document is available for review: http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_docs/media/afs/AC_90-APP_Coord_Copy.pdf (link to all draft ACs: Flight Standards Service (AFS) – Draft Advisory Circulars (ACs) Open for Comment). The idea is to try and significantly reduce accidents from loss of power and loss of control early in the test program (the two biggest causes) by ensuring basic engine/fuel system tests and having an experienced pilot along. They apparently feel that the additional risk to a second pilot is more than compensated by a larger reduction in overall risk.

This is open for comment, so try to get your feedback in if you have any. I will state that the FAA guy who put this together put a lot of effort in to get "end user" input. He flies an RV-6, intends to build one day, and spent a good while at Oshkosh last year soliciting opinions and talking to everyone. I must have talked to him for an hour or two, and even though I'm a pretty low-time pilot he still listened attentively to my ideas and concerns. This was not one of those proposals put together in some back office by a desk driver who doesn't know which end of an airplane faces forward.

The proposal is a voluntary program for builders of known kits using manufacturer-recommended engines. Provided the airplane meets those requirements, has full dual controls, and passes the engine/fuel tests, a second "Qualified Pilot" can be on board even for first flight. The QP has some experience requirements (and is based on a points system)--something like 500 hours minimum, at least 40 in the past year, some time in like model aircraft, etc. are all required.

After at least 8 hours, and provided certain basic tests are completed by the builder/owner (stalls, slow flight, landings, steep turns, etc.), that builder/owner can then carry an "observer pilot", whose qualifications are basically just current in category/class and have the appropriate ratings (no model-specific time required).

The program expressly does not prohibit you from doing things the current way. You can also do just the "observer pilot" portion (which I take advantage of, especially for heads-down data-intensive tests).

Personally, I mostly like the proposal. I have a few quibbles with the point values for certain things, and I believe that the first flight or two should only have one person on board--if the builder/owner doesn't feel comfortable without an experienced pilot on board, then that experienced pilot should really be doing it themself. After that, ok, provided the builder/owner has already gotten transition training. Early Phase I is not the time for that.

Back