• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another "napkin sketch" - single seat composite microlight/LSA - AirFlo v1.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floydr92

Hi guys,

Just finished up at Uni for the summer and i've headed down to Spain for the summer :) so i've been sitting outside today with the laptop getting another of my ideas transferred from my head into the computer (i wish there was a cable that could do this!)

I was recently wanting to design an amphibious 2 seater, with a hydro ski and a pretty complicated belt drive to 2 ducted props. I've decided that i want some hands on design and building experience with composites before i tackle that, so i´m going to do something a little simpler with a few nice additions along the way.

Very similar in size, weight and power to the SD-1 Minisport. Infact i used the minisport's wing in my x-plane model, so that's the baseline and the aim of this project could be to improve the performance with same engine and prop config, but without reducing the ergonomics (i don't want to be lying flat or sitting in an awkward position). I may or may not use a hirth engine, but that is the baseline to base the initial design on.

I like the flaperons on the minisport but i'd prefer separate flaps inboard and flaperons outboard, i'll look into this further.
I also think a stabilator might be worth looking into further. could you all give your thoughts and experiences with these two points?

Oh...the name: a little cheesy, but my surname is Floyd, so AirFlo...get it? :p it's the best i could think of.

Ok, pictures paint a thousand words, so here we go.

sketch.jpg
AirFlo Mini V1.0.jpg
AirFlo Mini V1.1_42.jpg
AirFlo Mini V1.1_44.jpg
AirFlo Mini V1.1_44.jpg
AirFlo Mini V1.1_47.jpg
AirFlo Mini V1.1_53.jpg

Back