Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keep your eyes open.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Keep your eyes open.

For whatever reason, HBA has been seeing a much-heavier-than-normal number of spammers lately. The moderators are pulling upwards of ten posts a day at times, and those are just the very few that actually get through to the boards. We're banning spammer accounts as quickly as possible.

The best way to make these guys go elsewhere is for their posts to disappear very quickly. They make their living on clicks through the spam link. Let's deny them that.

Because we're spread out around the globe, at least one of the HBA moderators is online almost all the time - but we can't be in every thread and every section. We need your help. Please keep your eyes open for any spam posts. If you see one, please report it immediately to the HBA moderators. You do that by clicking on the little black triangle near the lower-left corner of each post. The moderators will all get an e-mail notice of the report, and we'll jump on it as quickly as we can. Please don't click through the link in the spam post - if you do, you've just put some money in the pocket of the spammer.

If you folks can help us out in beating back this new wave of spam, we'd really appreciate it, and the boards will be better for all of us as a result.

Thanks!

Topaz
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Keep your eyes open.

I just wanted to bump this up and thank all the members who have reported spam posts to the mods in the last few weeks. You guys have been extremely helpful. I think we're starting to see some of the volume taper off. One particularly persistent spammer, whose posts always started with "For Sale: ..." and then a URL, seems to have finally gotten the hint that his posts aren't going to be very profitable here when they don't last more than a few minutes before being taken down and the account banned.

Many thanks to you all for your help, and please continue to report these things whenever you see them!
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

3. Likes akwrencher, bmcj, Holtzy3, flyvulcan liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will do. I am site operator myself and these spammers will screw up your life.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those that don’t see the little black triangle in the lower left hand corner that Topaz is referring too, you’re not seeing it because you’re not signed in. Was fixin’ to write Topaz to let him know, until I came on-line and there they appeared. I won’t say how long I spent trying to find it.

6. Likes Topaz, Midniteoyl liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a site admin myself I feel your pain, spammers drive me nuts. They've been hitting my contact forms on my sites lately and I really hate to set up captcha's but I might have too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's the vBulletin software that attracts the spammers. Its easy for them to unleash a bot net once they get your server's IP address. Sorry to say that not clicking on the links is good, but really isn't going to stop them. They hit thousands of forums and blogs a day. HBA is just another record in the database that gets sold on the undernet and hit on by spambots. It's not personal.

You pretty much have to do a captcha or other Turing test these days to keep them out...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nathan, our site technical admin, has put in place a number of measures that have been limiting the spam. We're not seeing even a small fraction of what's attempted, but some do get through.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Even captchas don't do much good any more. There are now services that spammers subscribe to, no doubt based in Asia or other places where labor is cheap, where all the operators do is solve captchas all day. The bot software automatically grabs the captcha, sends it to the service, the next available operator solves it in a couple of seconds, and sends the solution back to the bot which is now able to log on to the site.

Dana

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt." --Cicero, 64 B.C.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gotta love free enterprize...

That is why the best ones are those that either require knowledge of English (or whatever), logic, or knowledge of the subject.

The worst is when they directly hack your database and can inject spam (or worse) directly into/as posts. I've seen forums and entire domains (Lefora before the reboot) abandoned because they got so riddled with spam and malware.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We're fortunate to have Nathan, to keep the worst of the marauding horde away from our gates.

13. Likes BoKu liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just reported a bunch of spam hits. Obviously the same person or spambot, but registered with numerous similar user ID's (mostly random letters). I think I was able to report each one.

Any way to take the 30 sec sequential post delay clock off of the reporting function? I had to wait between each report.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whew! That was a new one. Quite obviously a single spammer or spambot, starting multiple accounts of one post each. I've deleted all the posts and banned all the user accounts.

Thanks, Bruce. I'll pass your suggestion along to Nathan. Thanks for all the reports!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. We all appreciate the quick and relentless work you do here Topaz... you and the other admins that do battle with the evil spam knights.

17. Likes Topaz, Brian Clayton, flyvulcan liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've posted your request to Nathan in the mod forum, along with one of my own regarding new user accounts. Looks like these were "sleepers", set up a couple of weeks ago and then activated all together today.

19. Likes Autodidact liked this post
    Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All power to those manning the ramparts so that we can all sleep in peace ;- the comment about the black triangle and signing in beforehand suddenly made sense of my earlier problem . We have a problem with landlines here and nearly everyday scam calls trying to get people to reveal their banking details by masquerading as Telco technicians . Keep up the good work.