Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 17 of 17

Thread: BD-6

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Manchester, NH USA
    Posts
    45
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    53

    Re: BD-6

    I have started making the cowl for the plane.* the most difficult part was making sure everything would fit under the cowl.* I took a long time to locate the water and oil radiators, I hope it works.*

    The plug is made of purple foam from Home Depot.* I cut it with a hot wire tool I made with piano wire and a rheostat .* I have seen people use a battery charger t run a hot wire but I have not tried.

    I have learned that not all spray adhesive works with foam, some eat it.* So check the can.* I also used Tite Bond PVA (wood glue) it works but needs to be clamped.* I also used construction adhesive when the gaps were large.

    It was shaped with hand tools like a rasp, file and a lot of sand paper glued to different shapes.

    the finish filler is Durabond 90. It is a drywall compound that chemically activates and sets fast and is very hard.*
    If you use it remember it sets HARD and what goes on must come off.

    I have done a lot of reading on other posts and would like to thank all who took the time to help a new guy.


    Tony

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170122_161115.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	58662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170125_173320.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	58661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170131_121205.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	58663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170131_121205.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	58663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170131_171306.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	58664

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170125_173320.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	58661

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Manchester, NH USA
    Posts
    45
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    53

    Re: BD-6

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170218_112531.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	60146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170218_112559.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	60147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170225_153717.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	60148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170317_103637.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	60149

    I have made some parts and this is what they look like.* I ended up putting a coat of fiberglass on the plug to give it some strength and I am glad I did.
    * The first part I pulled stuck to the plug and was very hard to get off.
    I would allow for place to blow compressed air in to pop the part off the plug. After that struggle I wrapped the plug with packing tape to get a very
    smooth surface , used the Dow parting agent* and , wait for it, sprayed the whole thing with hair spray and it popped right off. Well not easily but it
    came off without any damage to the plug.

    I ended up making the part in 3 pieces the top, bottom and radiator intakes.
    So lessons learned so fare:

    Surface must be very smooth

    If you want to get more than one part off the plug it needs to be reasonably strong.

    Think how the part will come off the plug.

    hair spray works, no kidding.

    Tony

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •