• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Westland Whirlwind Replica

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rv6ejguy

Supporting Member
There is a group in Europe working on building a metal replica of the Westland Whirlwind twin engined fighter from WW2. Unfortunately it will be non-flying. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Westland-Whirlwind-Fighter-Project/256647147740291

The historical work done has been tremendous, locating original wind tunnel models for 3D scanning, actual components from crash sites and some original drawings (most original drawings were lost to water damage long ago) and repair manuals from private collections and new parent company Westland Agusta. One group member, Gunnar Olsen from Norway has melded all of this info into stunning Solidworks CAD files and drawings to be able to construct an accurate replica. Metal cutting has begun apparently late last year.

I only regret they don't take it further and fit a pair of Falconer V12s or similar to make it flyable.

This was a very innovative aircraft for the time and one of my favorites.

Great work by this team. It reminds me of the effort on the Bugatti P100 replica.

Back